Posted by Iryna Dubenyuk
on Apr 26, 2012 in Social Networking
| Comments Off
Ten years after introducing the world to social networking —and later yielding the crown to Facebook— Friendster has reinvented itself, this time as a “social discovery and gaming” platform.
A fully redesigned Friendster that’s “living the game” has its eyes firmly set on its Filipino audience, offering users a combination of search, content discovery, and social functionalities.
“The Philippines has always been one of our biggest markets with a vibrant online community, making the country exceptionally important to us,” said Friendster Chief Operating Officer Nikolai Galicia.
“Therefore it is a joy to roll out Friendster’s inaugural event here, to a community that is continuously growing. We are committed in continually bringing the latest content and giving the most compelling rewards to our users,” Galicia added.
Friendster was created in 2002 to bring the online community closer. It created a new culture where users shared photos, videos, and connected with one another.
After losing the social networking crown to Facebook, Friendster was acquired by Asia’s leading e-payment and e-lifestyle provider, MOL Global Pte Ltd (MOL), in 2009. It soon claimed to be the region’s largest online community.
“Friendster pioneered the social networking industry and paved the way for the emergence of other sites. As the global gaming communities grew, it was essential for Friendster to find its unique proposition in order to remain competitive,” said MOL Group Chief Executive Officer Ganesh Kumar Bangah.
“By leveraging on Friendster’s strongest asset in the form of its millions of users and harnessing MOL’s strength as a e-payments and content distributer, we were able to successfully redesign Friendster to become a social discovery and gaming platform, host to the largest online community in Southeast Asia,” he added.
The new Friendster
The new Friendster lays claim to advanced ways of searching for, engaging, and making new friends, as well as a distinct approach to discovering new games.
A new home page lets members discover new games of multiple genres and exciting new concepts to earn rewards.
Other features of the redesigned Friendster include:
- Innovative and user-friendly interface
- Selections of avatars to suit your personas
- Chat with existing and new friends via the Friendster Chat Application while playing games on Friendster
- Over 50 online games from eight different genre like role-playing, strategy, simulations and card games
- Earn rewards through points for every activity within the site including adding friends, engaging with friends, daily log-in or playing any game
- Simple, easy-to-obtain virtual currency that can be used to purchase virtual goods, online games and applications in a safe and convenient manner.